[mythtv-users] What's the point of MythTV HD?

Kevin Bailey ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org
Fri Dec 7 01:12:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 02:04:57PM -0800, Bob Sully wrote:

> This is all well and good, but if you're in a fringe area like I am, OTA
> is not a very good option.  Believe me, I'd like to tell Time Warner Cable
> to shove their 5C as far up as it will go, and save $1200/yr in the
> process, but then my Myth box would simply become a music server.
>
> Bob Sully - Simi Valley, California, USA

I would instead say that you're in a "challenge" area.
Simi has a clear shot of Mt. Wilson. You're just far
away. So put up a big ol' Channel Master - as high up
as you can - plus maybe a cheap amplifier, and you're
good to go. You might be surprised to learn how well
you can pull in a digital station, when the analog
equivalent looks like crap.

There are also options like antenna ganging.

Still, you're right about the more general truth:
*if* you can't get OTA, you have no choice.