[mythtv-users] Parser for MythStream

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Dec 6 21:57:07 UTC 2007

> On Dec 6, 2007 3:34 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 6, 2007 2:40 PM, Josh <TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I wrote a parser for MythStream that gives you access to the streaming
>> > media on www.clevelandbrowns.com so if there are any Cleveland Browns
>> > fans reading this list, let me know and I'd be happy to post my parser
>> for
>> > you to use. I might be able to adapt this parser for some other teams
>> if
>> > they offer streaming media from there site... let me know.
>> >
>> > Josh
>> > TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com

>> Off topic, there are a TON of scripts for XBMC that let me stream
>> different sites to my xbox.... Why do so few exist for myth? Is it
>> harder to
>> implement than XBMC (which uses Python scripts)? Is it just a lack of
>> interest, perhaps, or worst case, are there copyright issues? Josh, was
>> it
>> difficult for you to write that parser?
[deletia]

>> It only took me about 20 minutes to write the parser (they are written
>> in
> perl). I think the biggest thing is that on 9.5/10 sites if you "scrape"
> the
> stream URL from the content of the site you're violating the ToS or T&C
> (Terms & Conditions). On the contrary, sites that provide an API for there
> streaming content ( http://youtube.com/dev) are permitted.
>
> You bring up a good point for general conversation... why is it that when
> go to my girlfriends Uncle's house where he runs on Windows Media Center
> he
> has like 100 plug-ins for it that enables everything he could ask except
> one
> to flush his commode (http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/20347.aspx).
> Is there a reason there is so much interest in writing plug-ins for MCE
> over

    I took a glance at that list and a lot of what's on there is
either redundant to what is already built into myth or one of it's
pre-existing plugins or is duplicated within that list of MCE plugins.

> Myth? IMHO MythTV beats out MCE on all phases of what someone should
> expect
> from a Media Center... I evaluated both (including BeyondTV and SageTV)
> for
> months before I finally settled on Myth (little over 2 years ago).

    That kind of addresses the question of why there are less plugins.

    Plugins are something you make because the original wasn't quite
up to spec for some reason. A better original product should inspire
fewer plugins.

    Although there is a lot you can do with simple things in MythTV
since it's so open. I've created "plugins" for MythTV with nothing
more than simple shell scripts. So the motivation to put a lot of
effort into a big plugin project is eliminated somewhat.

[deletia]

     Some of those MCE plugins are also payware. So there's a different
set of motivations involved with those.

     If you've got a particular suggestion, make it. You might
inspire someone.

     Does MCE have something that will automagically rip TV collections
on DVD? Will it setup all of the episode names? Will it not lose it's
head when a DVD is labeled "DVD-VIDEO" or all the discs in the collection
are named the same (like "HIGHLANDER")?

     A little Korn goes a long way...