[mythtv-users] What's the point of MythTV HD?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 20:57:33 UTC 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 12:03 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> I do.  I get all of my local OTA digital channels unencrypted for
> $0/mo.  I do /not/ subscribe to any cable services or premium channels
> (nor do I have access to any) because I find that's a much more
> effective means of dissent than whining on some list that the cable
> company doesn't care about.  Of course, it's a losing battle because too
> many people subscribe and watch it in standard def or (subscribe/don't
> subscribe) and steal the content.

Same here.  Unfortunately you're correct though...as long as pay TV
has been around everyone complains about it, yet nobody seems to be
able to live without it, thus insuring that nothing will change.

I moved into the house I'm in now in 1989.  The previous owners had no
cable and there wasn't even a line to the house.  At the time, the
local cable company here was TKR (since bought out by Cablevision).  I
knew enough people in the town (including relatives) to know that
TKR's service was abysmal.  My brother had a ton of interference in
his signal and was constantly told it was his TV...he found out that
his entire street was getting the same story...unreal.  So when I
moved in I decided to just do without it and that's how it stayed.

Believe it or not, before TKR was bough out, I used to get notices
from them in the mail that actually had a threatening tone...stuff to
the effect of "our records indicate no one at this address is paying
for TKR service....blah...blah...blah...any evidence of cable
theft...etc...etc"...mind boggling!  They assumed that it was _so_
impossible for someone to do without their service and anyone not
paying for it _must_ be stealing it.  I almost drove down to their
office to stick the letter up their ass I swear.  I used to frequently
see TKR employees sneaking around my neighborhood...trespassing on
peoples peoples property no less...with equipment to detect illegal
installations.  It was then that I knew I made the right choice....and
all the hassles with encrypted content I see so many dealing with just
reinforces that, especially when I hear about people getting the
run-around about whether the new local digital stations come under the
"must carry" and "in the clear" rules...amazing.

Now I can get the stations I'm used to having in HD and record three
of them at a time...no encryption/hassles of any sort...all for
free...can't beat it.  Hell...most people I know pay for my myth
system and more every year in pay TV costs.

Tom