[mythtv-users] OT: Increasing Console Buffer Size in Fedora

Glenn Harris gharris+list+mythtv at eklo.com
Wed Dec 5 20:48:41 UTC 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 11:21 AM, David George <david at thegeorges.us> wrote:
> On 12/05/2007 10:59 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> > The env variable HISTSIZE sets the size of the buffer which keeps your
> > command history.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to increase the size of the console display buffer?
> > Is this an env variable?
> >
> > I want to increase the size of whatever it is that keeps console screen
> > output so I can scroll back "further in time" in the output.
> >
> scrollback.  Anyway probably easiest way it to do it inside a command
> prompt in a GUI.  Usually their scrollback buffers are configurable.

While a gui is probably easiest, and output redirection the quickest,
I will take the opportunity to plug screen (a terminal multiplexer ;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Screen ; tutorials linked at the
bottom).  It can do much, much more than handle scrollback (such as
session persistence), but here is a quick run-down for scrollback: