[mythtv-users] MythWeb Title sort order

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 5 03:51:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 07:46:56PM -0700, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

> > > A and The are dropped (among others). It's on purpose. For an example
> > > of dropping "A" when before a title, see iTunes.
> >
> > It's been common for indexes of proper names to drop the articles "a",
> > "an", and "the" in leading position at least since I was in high school
> > (class of '83); I acquired no sense that it was new at the time, that I
> > can recall.
> >
> > IE: we've been indexing that way for a *long* time.  Things which
> > *can't* do that when they sort indexes are the ones that drive *me* up
> > the wall, personally.
> >
> > It's much more difficult than I would have thought to find indexing
> > rules on the web, but there's some interesting material at
> >
> > 	http://www.judywebster.gil.com.au/methods.html
> >
> > Including a reference to the book "Indexing, the art of", which may be
> > the single best book title in history.  :-)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -- jra
>
> Indexing, yes, but I refer to sorting of Titles. Just that it caught me
> off-guard, especially for "A Hard Day's Night". Would it be filed under "H"
> in the video store or library? I am thinking not, but now I'm going to check.
>

> I have somewhere a book on Filing, a secretarial-school textbook from the
> 50s - now I have to find it so see what it says.

Normally, all of the English articles (a, an, the) are ignored when
sorting titles. Sometimes you'll even see articles completely omitted
from title listings, but in my experience that's most often done by
scientific journals or other publications that send out an annual index.

However, something as subtle as the proper sort order for movie titles
isn't likely to be a major concern when more and more people seem to
need a minute or two just to figure out alphabetical order.

--
Michael Heironimus