[mythtv-users] Damn you Time Warner

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 4 16:51:16 UTC 2007

On 12/04/2007 11:08 AM, Kevin Bailey wrote:
> I thought myth existed to ignore the copy
> protection flag. You're saying it doesn't, or are you using
> some other product, or ... ?

Myth does /not/ exist to circumvent copy protection mechanisms.  It
exists to serve as a great DVR.

What you probably meant was, "I thought the Linux capture cards did not
understand the broadcast flag."  That's completely true.  However, this
fact is of no help when the content is encrypted /and/ marked with the
broadcast flag.  It simply means you're able to copy the encrypted
content--but you have no means of decrypting it, so you might as well
copy the contents of /dev/{,u}random.

(Not to mention the fact that STB's /do/ understand and respect the
broadcast flag--that's often inserted by the cable company--and output
copy never/copy once material in encrypted form when using unsecured
digital connections, such as firewire.)

Mike