[mythtv-users] MythDVD ISO's

Trey Thompson treythompson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 16:29:57 UTC 2007

> John Baab wrote:
> > I spent some time last night trying to trick mythdvd into thinking that
> > a mounted ISO was actually a DVD .  I was able to get it to play by
> > mounting an ISO to a folder and pointing the DVD setting at that folder,
> > but the DVD ripper claimed there was no dvd inserted.  My goal is to
> > make a DVD jukebox and when the hard drive space starts to fill up be
> > able to rip videos from the ISO's that I had already ripped in order to
> > make more room.  I know that I can just reinsert the DVD and re-rip then
> > delete the old ISO, but its awful hard to do that when you are nowhere
> > near a remote machine.
>
> MythTV will include an .iso file in the list displayed when you select
> Media Library->Watch Videos. To do so the .iso file should be in the
> directory you provided by selecting Utilities/Setup->Media
> Settings->Video Settings->General Settings from the Main Menu and typing
> it into the "Directory that holds videos" text box.
>
> I have not included the description of how to copy an .iso file from
> your DVD reader to your video directory or how to add the DVD to the
> MythTV database to provide a more elegant display because I am not sure
> that I understand your problem.

OP is trying to do what I've tried before.  Mount the ISO so that Myth
will see it as a full DVD.  Then, from the Myth menus, select that you
want to rip it into Perfect, or some other format, to get rid of the
8GB ISO file, and end up with a single 4GB MPG, or something similar.
I haven't succeeded at this either.