[mythtv-users] finally got a modeline, now MPEG2 playback = blank screen

Alex Jovovich s1148625 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 16:07:02 UTC 2007

I finally broke down and bought a new LCD TV to replace my old CRT. After an hour of fiddling, I found a modeline that displays 1360x768 over VGA on my TV. The MythTV interface looks incredible at the higher resolution.

When I select "Watch TV," try to view a recorded program, or try to play back a homebrew DVD, I get a black screen, the monitor briefly reports a 720x400 signal, and then the system is locked. Restarting X doesn't work, and the only way to get back up is to ssh in and restart the system. Playing back videos in Mplayer works fine. It seems to be an issue with MPEG2 files only. All my recorded programs and live TV are recording at native 720x480. I don't have an HD tuner - I'm just trying to play SD on my new TV.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can fix this? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hardware Info
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4-F (onboard sound)
1GB PC3200
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
MSI Nvidia NX6200TC-TD64ES
PVR-500