[mythtv-users] What's the point of MythTV HD?

spectro spectro at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 23:10:52 UTC 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 3:49 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 12/03/2007 02:28 PM, spectro wrote:
> > There is the option (although not quite legal) of hooking a DVB-S card
> > to Dish Network sats. Not very practical since DN is taking
> > countermeasures that makes it a little cumbersome to keep the setup
> > working (changing keys, ECMs with fake keys, etc).
> >
> > I guess it is ok if you actually pay for their service plugging the
> > sat to your myth backend instead of their receiver, but IANAL ;-)
>
> Which is (part of the reason why) this type is discussion is not welcome
> on this list (or other MythTV lists).
>
> Mike

Why if DN makes it legal?

<crazyIdea>
What if Dish Network gives you the .bin file with your subscription?
This .bin file has a serial number attached to your account and
enables decryption of the channels you are subscribed to. If they find
this file on the web, they just cancel that serial number and issue
another one (the same way DTV disabled cloned CAMs in the good ol'
days)
</crazyIdea>

I for one would subscribe to their top tier under such conditions but
for now the only legal way I can get non-FTA HDTV into myth is with my
cable provider through firewire so these are the guys who get my
money.

There is no way in hell I pay montly fees for their crappy STBs after
using mythtv for 2 years.