[mythtv-users] are IR ports standard on ATX Mobos?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 11:29:38 UTC 2007

On Dec 2, 2007 11:07 PM, Jim the Standing Bear <standingbear at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are IR ports standard on ATX mobos?  I ordered a mobo, but its spec
> didn't say anything about IR input ports.  So I am just wondering.  If
> not, how can I add one to my box? Thanks.

No. What the mobos used to have (haven't seen in awhile) is an
IrDA port.  This is a different IR protocol and generally not suitable
for this use, although the LIRC website indicates that some
remotes can be made to work with these ports.

Your best bet is to build (it's really simple, if you know how to
work a soldering iron) or buy a serial-port receiver (or transmitter if
you need to control an additional device, such as a cable box or a
home theatre audio receiver).  There are others you can purchase
that connect to a USB port that can control multiple external
devices, such as multiple cable boxes.  Details can be had from
the MythTV wiki and from www.lirc.org.

Craig.