[mythtv-users] What's the point of MythTV HD?

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 03:45:05 UTC 2007

> > 1) Use MythTV and NOT get these channels *at all*, OR;
> > 2) Use their DVR and get these channels, but loose the MythTV.
>
> 3) Settle for S-Video output from your STB for premium channels to an
> analog capture card. It may surprise you as to how good down-sampled
> HD content over s-video looks. Close to DVD quality I would say.
>

> 4) instead of paying your cable co for a digital STB+ HD "package" +
premium channel "packages" + HD PVR with crippled hardware and software, pay
a small fraction of that to Netflix and get your premium shows & movies that
way.  I pay Commucast $14/month (4 networks in HD, plus 5 PBS channels
including PBS HD) and Netflix $20.  We'll get sent a whole season of
something on DVDs, load it into Mythvideo, watch it at our leisure, and send
the DVDs back for something else the next day.