[mythtv-users] What's the point of MythTV HD?

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 03:34:57 UTC 2007

On Dec 2, 2007 5:36 PM, Benjamin Carlisle <ben.carlisle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I not legally record these so-called "premium" HD channels using
> MythTV (without significant expense)?  If not, what is the point of
> MythTV in a setup where you WANT those premium channels in HD?  Why
> not just suck it up and pay these jerks their money for the DVR STBs?
> It seems to be to be either:
>
> 1) Use MythTV and NOT get these channels *at all*, OR;
> 2) Use their DVR and get these channels, but loose the MythTV.

Since you are a long time MythTV user I'll bet you won't be too
happy with option 2.  I bought an HDTV about 2 weeks ago and
now have a Comcast dual tuner DVR.  It has room for about 20
shows and has very few recording options.  It'll do for now to record
the channels I can't record on my Myth box.  As more and more
channels are provided though it might become a big problem.

Switching back and forth is a hassle but at least HDTVs
have a large number of inputs and it is just a push of a
button on the remote.

I use my Mythbox for music, video, and photos as well
so I'd want to keep that functionality around in any case.