[mythtv-users] What's the point of MythTV HD?

Benjamin Carlisle ben.carlisle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 01:36:18 UTC 2007

All,
    I am a longtime MythTV user who is looking to upgrade to HD.  I've
got Comcast currently (Analog SD) but will most likely be switching to
Verizon FIOS due to the expanded channel lineup and faster internet
speeds.  We get plenty of analog channels over cable now (we get TNT,
Disc, etc., but not HBO and the like), but we want to indulge a little
bit and get a nice fat HDTV with the same service.

The more I research this change, the more disheartened I become at the
prospects of using MythTV.  I have scanned through the archives here
trying to come up with how a new setup would work; STB's and firewire
and IR blasters and all of that, but I start to get the sense that
MythTV no longer suits the needs of a "true" HD watcher.  That is,
someone who is seeking HD beyond of the realm of the OTA broadcast
channels such as NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX.

I realize this is not at all the fault of MythTV.  In the US, we are
victims of irrational controls from lobbying and from lack of
action/intelligence from the FCC.  And this still seems somewhat fluid
-- rules are still being defined and reviewed -- but none of it really
looks in favor of the consumer.  Yes, I could try firewire from the
STB but sometimes it is not enabled, and sometimes it is encrypted and
sometimes it works for only certain channels.  Yes, I could get an
antenna for OTA, but I am *willing to pay* for premium content to get
the most out of our HDTV.

So I am left with the following question:  If I convert to HD (again,
beyond the broadcast stations), where exactly does MythTV fit in my
home media setup?  I enjoy the upgradability, flexibility and
open-source attitude of this project. I enjoy being able to watch the
content I pay for without fear of being monitored/controlled/mined,
how and when I choose.  But when I have to switch back-and-forth
between MythTV and the STB, depending on the channel I choose and
whether or not it is "premium" or "non-premium" - well, that seems to
me to be just plain ridiculous.

Let me just confirm the following both for my own knowledge and for
list posterity:

Can I not legally record these so-called "premium" HD channels using
MythTV (without significant expense)?  If not, what is the point of
MythTV in a setup where you WANT those premium channels in HD?  Why
not just suck it up and pay these jerks their money for the DVR STBs?
It seems to be to be either:

1) Use MythTV and NOT get these channels *at all*, OR;
2) Use their DVR and get these channels, but loose the MythTV.

Someone please, please tell me that I am wrong or that there is a
smart third option.  I would love to continue using Myth.