[mythtv-users] Why does Myth keep adding channels I don't want?

Jay Mallar jaymallar at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 22:26:18 UTC 2007

I'm hoping this is an easy one..

I spent *hours* editing my SchedulesDirect feed list to filter out all
those channels I don't get (like HD channels).  Yet, every time I run
mythfilldatabase, I get new HD channels again, often duplicates of SD
channels I already get  (for instance, I get two channel 276, one called
NGC and another 276 called NGCHD.  Wouldn't be so bad if MythTV didn't t
put them both in my program guides.

Everytime the lineup changes, MythTV and SD automatically assume I have
that channel, and end up getting guide data for it.  If I wanted the new
channel in my lineup, I'd add it :)

How do I stop this?

I'm running mythfilldatabase with the --remove-new-channels option... I
thought it was supposed to prevent the addition of channels that aren't
in my mythconverg DB?

According to mythfilldatabase --help:

--remove-new-channels
   When using DataDirect, ask mythfilldatabase to
   remove new channels (those not in the database)
   from the DataDirect lineup.  These channels are
   removed from the lineup as if you had done so
   via the DataDirect website's Lineup Wizard, but
   may be re-added manually and incorporated into
   MythTV by running mythfilldatabase without this
   option.  New channels are automatically removed
   for DVB and HDTV sources that use DataDirect.

As a side note, I told Myth I'm using NTSC - so why does it keep adding
HD stations?  Perhaps the filter-new-channels thing isn't working?