[mythtv-users] Slow MySQL query after delete

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Dec 1 05:17:43 UTC 2007

On 11/30/2007 05:12 AM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
> It is also completely unreasonable for you to ignore and dismiss all
> the evidence people are handing you that RESCHEDULES ARE SLOW even
> if one has ARLEADY DONE all of the recommended screwing around.

How many times do I have to say, "His system takes the same amount of
time for a scheduling run as my system and my system does /not/ lock
up--or show /any/ delay at all--after a delete," before it's apparent
that my system can somehow run a "SLOW" reschedule without affecting UI
responsiveness?  Am I the only one to whom this implies that the "SLOW"
reschedule is /not/ the issue?

> (Ignore the red herring of "deletions" for the moment, just to
> simplify the discussion---the only relevant point there is that
> deletions force a reschedule.)

Never optimize before profiling.  IMHO, picking something--no matter how
"likely" to be the problem--and changing it without actually proving it
is the source of the problem is just a waste of time.

Oh, and--just in case--saying that a 0.18.1 system is slow is adding
nothing to the argument of whether Myth needs fixing in
November/December, 2007.

Mike