[mythtv-users] quickly switching between 4:3 and Fill

Curtis Porter cdp at curtisporter.com
Sat Dec 1 05:07:50 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 22:02 -0500, Dan Christensen wrote:
> Ron Garrison <ron.garrison at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On 11/29/07, Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a 16:9 display and I'd like to program two keys on my remote so
> >> one of them switches myth to 4:3 mode and the other to Fill mode (for
> >> playing back letterboxed movies).  The W key switches between modes, but
> >> you have to pass through some modes that I don't use, and I was hoping to
> >> be able to switch directly between the two modes I do use.
> >
> > I was just about to post something similar.  I haven't checked the source
> > code yet, but it would be nice if we could somehow discretely select the
> > different modes.  I often use the 4:3 zoom for 16:9 broadcasts on SD/NTSC.
>
> One idea is to allow the user to enter a digit followed by W to select a
> particular aspect ratio/scaling.  Can lirc take one event and send two
> keystrokes to the application?

That sounds like a good idea.  It would be even nicer, at least for my
own situation, if we could assign a mode per channel.  Certain stations
in my area always broadcast 4:3 content with a widescreen signal, so
there's a black frame around the picture on my 4:3 screen.  I'd love it
if recordings from those channels automatically switched to a
preassigned mode.

Curtis