[mythtv-users] 5.1 Surround Sound ( again )

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 31 23:09:34 UTC 2007

On 08/31/2007 06:57 PM, jack snodgrass wrote:
> I've searched and looked at the wiki and the
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound
> page....
>
> I am using the latest SVN Trunk build.
> I have Fedora FC6.
> I can use aplay -Dsurround51 foo.wav on a multi-channel wav file and hear output
> in all of my 5.1 speakers...
> I can play a mythtv recoded HDTV show that has 5.1 surround sound
> recorded using
> VLC and hear 5.1 surround sounds....
>

> When I run mythtv to watch live TV or play a recorded show, I don't hear the 5.1
> surround sound like I should.. ( according to the
> Configuring_Digital_Sound page )
> I hear sound from the left / right speakers but not the full 5.1 setup.
>
> .... with the SVN Trunk build... should I need to do anything but use
> ALSA:default in my configuration settings?

MythTV only supports 2-channel analog audio output from the Internal
player.  The only way to get multi-channel surround output from MythTV
is using AC-3/DTS passthrough to play back a recording with AC-3/DTS
surround sound.

The patches in #1104 are meant to provide multi-channel analog output.

Mike