[mythtv-users] Twittering about your mythtv recordings

David Shay david at shay.net
Fri Aug 31 17:02:31 UTC 2007

On 8/30/07, Kevin Hulse <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 10:56:24PM +0100, Mark wrote:
> >
> > > Post recorded TV broadcasts on the web.  Bad idea.  Can you spell
> > > "copyright violation"?
> >
> > Allow me to rephrase:
> >
> > "I've put together a perl script which posts a summary (show name,
> > broadcast time and channel) of your recorded shows to twitter.com."
>
> 1) This is redundant.
> 2) This is more likely than not a violation of the Terms of Service
>   of whatever your source for program listings is.

Show titles are not copyrighted.  If you look at the actual code in
play here (I did), you would see that the only thing being passed is
channel id and title.  In the case of TMS as a source, they might be
upset if you started to post descriptions, which they can claim
authorship of -- that is not the case here at all.

Furthermore, how could anyone even know where this data came from?
Did it come from an automated program?  Did it come from a 12 year old
that someone pays 2$/hour to keep up with what someone watches?  Even
if it came from a program, where was it's source?  It could have been
EIT, after all, or data that started off as listings data from one
source and was then overwritten by EIT.....