[mythtv-users] Differences between main 0.20 tarball and Mythtvology setup

Cliff Avey makalu at ansae.com
Fri Aug 31 03:02:33 UTC 2007

I've downloaded and built the 0.20.2 tarball and I'm almost ready to
install (after I make a backup of my current setup). However, I just
looked at the install targets in the Makefiles, and I'm wondering if I
need to take some extra steps. I set up my system with 0.18, using the
Mythtvology guide and Axel's rpm's. Looking at the Makefiles, there are
significant differences between the main Mythtv layout as installed by
the Makefiles and that installed by the rpm packages. For example, the
Makefile installs the 0.20 libs in /usr/local/lib and the programs in
/usr/local/bin, while the packages I installed put the 0.18 version of
libs and programs in /usr/lib and /usr/bin, respectively.

Should I go through by hand and delete the all 0.18 stuff? If I don't,
and don't set up paths or other env variables right, could I accidently
pull in 0.18 stuff? I'm not so much concerned about wasting space, but
about pulling in the wrong thing if I have both 0.18 and 0.20 versions.
I suppose I could also try to uninstall the stuff with Synaptic instead
of by hand. My package files are WAY out of date, but that probably
doesn't matter if I just want to uninstall.

Also, I assume I need to get rid of my chron job that dl'ed schedules
from Zap2It, and create a new one for SchedulesDirect, yes? Is there
anything else I need to clean out of my system from my 0.18 setup before
I install 0.20.2?