[mythtv-users] Won't Save Backend Settings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 31 01:40:04 UTC 2007

On 08/30/2007 09:24 PM, David Rush wrote:
> More info.... /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log has some interesting stuff:

> 2007-08-30 21:14:49.555 Told to create a NEW database schema, but the
> database
> already has 5 tables.
> If you are sure this is a good mythtv database, verify
> that the settings table has the DBSchemaVer variable.
>
> 2007-08-30 21:14:49.556 Database Schema upgrade FAILED, unlocking.
> 2007-08-30 21:14:49.557 Couldn't upgrade database to new schema
>
> So, there IS a database problem.

That happens when you have a database that includes tables but has
"broken" data (i.e. missing DB schema version and possibly other stuff).

If you're setting things up for the first time, I'd recommend installing
mythtv and mythtv-database, then using the mysql client, log into the
DBMS as root

mysql -uroot -p mysql

(and supply the root password).  Then issue the command:

DROP DATABASE mythconverg;

Then apply the mc.sql script as described at
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2 , then start up
mythtv-setup and begin configuration.  This will "fix" the DB by
starting over (so, re-does what mythtv-database tried to do for you in
such a way that your package manager is happy).

If you don't know the mysql root password, shut down the mysql server
and run the following as root:

cat > /srv/mysql/tmpinit.sql << EOF
SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('rootpasswd');
SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'`hostname`' = PASSWORD('rootpasswd');
EOF
mysqld_safe --user=mysql --init-file=/srv/mysql/tmpinit.sql 2>&1
>/dev/null &
rm /srv/mysql/tmpinit.sql

But change the "rootpasswd" to something sensible (and not so crackable
:).  Use another window to shut down the mysql server and restart it
then log in as root using the password you supplied.

Mike