[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup and X forward

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Thu Aug 30 07:17:18 UTC 2007

Joe Ripley wrote:
> On 8/29/07, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
> <steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:
>> Hello, I tried to do "ssh -X <hostname>"
>> I typed in a command to run and it showed up on the screen of the computer I
>> was logged into, and not on my screen. Any ideas? (btw, x was running on
>> that computer, not sure if that makes a difference)
>
> Your DISPLAY variable was probably set for the localhost instead of
> the remote host that you are logging in from.  X programs look at the
> DISPLAY environment variable to see where they should be displayed.

*snip*

This doesn't apply when one is connecting via SSH and the X forwarding
parts are working correctly (settings are configurable on both the
server and client side).

Now, changing the DISPLAY variable to point to the client machine should
work, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the SSH X forwarding IMO.

*Recalls the days of telnet and setting that variable all the freaking
time when working across the LAN*