[mythtv-users] Looking for new DVB-S+CAM based backendhardwarerecommendations

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 29 20:17:47 UTC 2007

On 08/29/2007 03:32 PM, Phil Jordan wrote:
> Seriously though, I do think it's very feasible even without special
> driver support as long as you've got access to pixel+vertex shaders and
> render-to-texture via OpenGL. Which we do, of course, for
> nvidia/fglrx/intel.

Right.  And, this is the way to go (even if NVIDIA releases some Linux
"PureVideo" API) because it's standards-based.

>  The main work would be integrating with
> MythTV/ffmpeg and tuning it to be fast enough on lower-end GPUs and the
> various quirky drivers.

Also, lower-end GPU's are not likely to support complex-enough shader
programs (basically, you'd probably need something like a GF6800 or
better, though I wouldn't be surprised if the 6800 is even too
limited--after all, it took NVIDIA until after they released the 7800 to
demonstrate that it could be done on a 6800, so they may have taken some
"shortcuts" when decoding with that GPU).

Mike