[mythtv-users] Looking for new DVB-S+CAM based backendhardwarerecommendations

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 29 18:46:06 UTC 2007

On 08/29/2007 02:28 PM, Wim Fokkens wrote:
> BBC HD seems to be encoded as H.264 at 1440x1080, at least on DVB-T from
> the Crystal Palace transmitter. I've tried recording and playing it, and
> it won't decode it in realtime, even on my Core2 Duo E6600. That's from
> mythfrontend or just playing the file in mplayer or xine. My guess is
> I've either messed up my config, my binaries aren't compiled right
> (packman for OpenSuse 10.2 x86_64) or libavcodec is just too
> inefficient. Have you had any luck with the HD stuff?

H.264 decoding at HDTV resolutions is /very/ tough.  You probably won't
be able to do it with Myth until ffmpeg is updated to support
multi-threaded decoding of H.264 and Janne integrates the updated ffmpeg
into MythTV.  This process is in the works, so it will be done "soon"
(i.e. within a couple of years ;).  If nothing else, it should be done
before processor technology advances sufficiently that a single-core CPU
can do the decoding in realtime.

Mike