[mythtv-users] Dead motherboard

Boleslaw Ciesielski bolek-mythtv at curl.com
Wed Aug 29 13:21:09 UTC 2007

Chris Nicholls wrote:
> The motherboard on my Myth systen died so I replaced it with another
> one, not the same (no longer available). The system starts to boot, as
> in loading kernel, (so it can find the right drive to boot off) but then
> says, Unable to access resume device (Label=SWAP-sda3)
> mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
> setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
> setuproot: error mounting /proc No such file or directory
> etc
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempting to kill init!
>
> The old motherboard was an ASUS and the new one is a gigabyte with an
> nvidia chipset

Most likely you need a different driver for the root device and it is
not present in your current initrd image.

If that's the case, you have to regenerate initrd with the proper
driver. This can be tricky and I can't give you step by step because I
struggle with this every time it happens.

Try booting the rescue CD/DVD, chroot to your root filesystem and run

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-xxx.img xxx

(replace xxx with the proper version string e.g. 2.6.22.4-65.fc7)

You may have to give some options to force including some drivers.

Bolek