[mythtv-users] Sound issues

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 29 00:56:47 UTC 2007

OK, I think I have this worked out now.  I abandoned the SPDIF sound for now.  I have Speaker-Jack->RCA cable from my soundcard's output port to my receiver and can hear the test sounds fine.  As far as MythMusic is concerned, I setup my Myth audio settings to be ALSA:default after creating an asoundrc.conf according to the mythtv.org WIKI concerning sound.

I then setup my MythMusic to rip CDs down to MP3s instead of OGG.  When I play them alone with Xine or as part of a playlist in MythMusic, I can hear them fine, which is all I wanted.  I can also hear a DVD that was ripped down to a VOB file too, so that's good.

If I could only figure out why any recordings that I make (on the VERY FEW channels that my pcHDTV card seems to find) doesn't have any sound now, I'll be good to go.  :-)

Thanks,
Harry

From: lifter89 at comcast.net (Harry Devine)

I'm outputting the sound with both an analog speaker plugged in (just to test it), and an SPDIF optical cable running to my stereo.  If I use MythVideo to play a DVD that I ripped down, I can hear it fine on the analog, but nothing on the digital.  If I use MythMusic to play a music playlist of songs that I ripped down from a CD (which got ripped to OGG format), I don't hear anything.

Also, I recorded 5 minutes of a program on my local ABC, and I don't hear any audio.  I also don't hear any audio when I try and watch any TV program.  I can use xine to play an MP3 that I transferred over, but xine can't manually play one of the OGG files that I have ripped down.

I also setup my audio settings as you suggested (ALSA:default for both and unchecked both SPDIF options), and neither had any effect whatsoever.  I know that the sound works, just not all the time, and I can't seem to put my finger on the right combinations to make it all work all the time.

Thanks,
Harry
From: "Jarett Creason" <nobleiceman at gmail.com>