[mythtv-users] Slow Myth with DNS problems

Joe Ripley vitaminjoe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 13:37:17 UTC 2007

On 8/28/07, Lee McLaren <lmclaren at lrm.com.au> wrote:
> I also note that it is slower to log onto the backend via ssh if DNS is
> not working, say a 30 second wait before the username prompt.
>
> Any ideas?

I'm not exactly sure how MythTV handles DNS lookups, but I can
understand why SSH takes so long when your name resolution is down.
Most SSH servers are configured to reverse-lookup the clients that
connect to them for logging purposes.  If DNS is down, this process
will have to timeout before you receive the login prompt...

Perhaps Myth is attempting to do reverse-lookups as well?

--
Joe Ripley
vitaminjoe at gmail.com