[mythtv-users] Connecting a Myth Box to a set-top box

Alastair Kerr alastair.kerr at ed.ac.uk
Tue Aug 28 13:09:19 UTC 2007

Joshua Lippiner wrote:
> Is anyone using a MythBox connected to their set-top box to allow the
> set-top box to handle the satellite or cable decoding?  If so, does
> anyone have it set up where the set-top box can change the channel?
>
> If so, how are you passing the current station ident info to the
> MythBox?
>
> -JL

You need an eternal channel changing script that controls a device:
specified in mythtv-setup under inputs.
Mythtv then assumes that it has changed channel (even if the device failed)

3 ways to do this
RS232 port (serial) on your set top box, though not all are activated
(mine wasn't and could not be).
then use the channel program. This is probably the cheapest and most
reliable option

IR-blaster (attaches to your infrared port and sends signals to it)

More info here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_External_Channel_Changer

I use a different approach - change channel via the RF-out socket. Note
that this is probably Sky and FoxTel specific but I found it to be
reliable if I use a high quality cable
http://www.dusky-control.com/

-Alastair