[mythtv-users] Slow Myth with DNS problems

Lee McLaren lmclaren at lrm.com.au
Tue Aug 28 08:14:11 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am seeing a funny problem whenever there is a problem with my Internet
connection or DNS, Mythtv runs very slowly.

I see this if say I start the front end, it will sit for 5 minutes
before the menus work, at all other times it works very quickly and may
not find the back end.

I am running trunk SVN  and have seen this problem for some time so I
expect its not new. My Myth system (combined front and back ends) are
based on Ubuntu.

All of my server details in mythtv-setup and in the settings are IP
addresses, I don't use names anywhere.

I also note that it is slower to log onto the backend via ssh if DNS is
not working, say a 30 second wait before the username prompt.

Any ideas?

thanks

Lee McLaren