[mythtv-users] DirecTV D10-300 Serial Interface

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Tue Aug 28 02:56:17 UTC 2007

Blaine Nelson wrote:
> As for the serial port check, I don't have a modem lying around.  But,
> I do have an old mouse with the old round serial ps2 port and an even
> older adpater that goes from the round serial ps2-style port to a
> regular serial port.  I'm not sure if this counts as a serial device
> but here's what I did.  Plug the mouse into the round serial ps2-style
> port.  Reboot.  Mouse worked fine.  Plug the mouse into the regular
> serial port using the adapter.  Reboot.  Mouse did not work at all.  I
> tried again on the second serial port.  Still nothing from the mouse.
>
> Should the mouse have worked in the regular serial port?  Xubuntu (the
> distro I'm using) picked up on the mouse in the round ps2-style port
> but not the regular port.  Can I take this as an indication that the
> serial port is screwed up?
>
> And if so, what's next?  What steps can I take to see why the mouse
> isn't working?
>
> Thanks everyone for putting up with all this.

The only other way I can think of to test the port without a modem is
another computer.  Hook-up two computers via a serial cable.  You can
use some sort of terminal program, like minicom, to establish
communications between the two computers over the serial port.

Basically, you just want something you know works on the other end of
your serial port, to see if you can get it working.

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with serial mice.

Have you checked that your serial ports are enabled in your BIOS?