[mythtv-users] EIT Scanner queries

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Aug 28 00:43:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 00:18 +0100, Piers Kittel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My backend currently collects program data via the EIT scanner, but
> I've got a few queries:
>
> Is the data collection continuous, or is it like once per hour?

Continuous once it starts. In mythtv-setup, under "1. General"
on the EIT page you can set the "Backend Idle Before EIT Crawl"
which is normally set to 60 seconds. To this time is added a
short interval, originally random, but I believe it is based
on the cardid in some newer versions. This avoids all the cards
starting up the EIT crawl at once and overloading the system.

> If there's multiple DVB input cards in the system, would the EIT
> scanner use all input cards, or just one?

It will use all the cards that are not currently recording something
that have EIT collection enabled in the source, but the DB updates
are throttled to avoid overloading the system. Using all the available
EIT cards allows the data to be updated more quickly.

> Secondly, after a few scans sometimes the following message:
> 2007-08-28 00:11:58.295 Program #8302 not found in PAT!
> Program Association Table
> PSIP tableID(0x0) length(69) extension(0x200c)
>        version(1) current(1) section(0) last_section(0)
>           tsid: 8204

Normally a rescan of transports will fix this problem, but not
always. We're working on a better solution, see ticket #2699
for updates http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2699

> Thanks very much for your time in advance!

No problem :)

Stuart A. was the EIT guy for a while so he may know more about
some details than me. But both me and Janne are good secondary
experts now that Stuart A. has a job that consumes much of his
MythTV time. With the loss of Labs in the US I may be spending
more time on improving EIT again in the future.

-- Daniel