[mythtv-users] Cox Communications has turned off Firewire output

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 00:03:14 UTC 2007

Cox Communications in Orange County, CA has disabled the IEEE1394 output on
all of their cable boxes.

I called Technical Support this afternoon and spoke to a supervisor, who
informed me that this was a Cox Cable corporate decision.

When I informed him that this violated FCC regulations, he simply repeated
the new policy.

I promptly informed him that I was going to file a complaint with the FCC -
and immediately start the process of switching my telephone, internet
provider and cable TV service elsewhere.

I have filed a complaint with the FCC.

FYI, The specific FCC regulation that requires this is 47cfr76.640 where it
says:

(4) Cable operators shall:

(i) Effective April 1, 2004, upon request of a customer, replace any leased
high definition set-top box, which does not include a functional IEEE 1394
interface, with one that includes a functional IEEE 1394 interface or
upgrade the customer's set-top box by download or other means to ensure that
the IEEE 1394 interface is functional.

(ii) Effective July 1, 2005, include both a DVI or HDMI interface and an
IEEE 1394 interface on all high definition set-top boxes acquired by a cable
operator for distribution to customers.

I'm not entirely convinced this is a nationwide issue.  Perhaps, we have a
local yokel here that is feeling his Wheaties.  Is anyone else having this
problem?

Tom