[mythtv-users] Rebuilding recorded show database

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 27 18:59:32 UTC 2007

On 08/27/2007 02:47 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:

> On 8/27/07, Michelle Dupuis <support at ocg.ca> wrote:
>>
>> I had an error in myth when trying to play a recorded show (it said
>> file was missing).  I wondered if my database needs to be
>> rebuilt...perhaps corrupt or some old crash left overs.
>>
>> Is there a way to rebuild the list of recorded shows (preserving
>> all info if possible)?
>
> You can use myth.find_orphans.pl in the contrib directory to find
> errors in the database.
>
> Or, to rebuild there is a script that will rebuild called
> myth.rebuilddatabase.pl This will take orphaned files and put them in
> the database but it wont restore show info.

But despite the name, it doesn't rebuild the database.  It only puts in
the info you give it, meaning that you'll lose all recording history,
the title/subtitle/description will have to be manually entered, and
you'll basically be starting the DB from scratch (and losing most of the
good stuff)...  You really should do a "spring cleaning" type approach
using http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7 if you're
concerned about the DB.

Mike