[mythtv-users] Need "xorg.conf" Modeline for Samsung LN-S4695D

Jarett Creason nobleiceman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 15:15:02 UTC 2007

On 8/27/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:

> Just Gags wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:09:49 -0400
> > > From: Rich.West at wesmo.com
> > > To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> > > Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Need "xorg.conf" Modeline for Samsung
> > LN-S4695D

> > card

> with
> > >

> > > How is your TV connected to the computer, and what video card are
> > you using?
> > The television is connected from the VGA port on the computer the the
> > VGA port on the television. The video card is an nVidia GeForce 6200.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> You may want to make sure that your TV can display 720p/1080p via VGA.
> In most cases, it can, but some (like some plasmas) do a _slightly_
> different resolution when going over VGA (aka: PC Input) vs. HDMI,
> component, etc.
>
> Anyhow, I thought I put this in a wiki entry, but in looking back, it
> doesn't look like I did.
>
> Here's what I have for my (much smaller) TV connected via VGA displaying
> at 720p.  This uses the built-in nvidia modelines for displaying
> standard-signal 1080p/720p/480p which should get picked up properly by
> the TV.  This might work for you...
>
> -Rich
>
> -----
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>         VendorName   "Panasonic FLM-3232"
>         ModelName    "Proview FLM-3232"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "nvidia"
>         VendorName  "XFX"
>         BoardName   "XFX nVidia GeForce 6200"
>         Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
>         Option      "NvAGP" "2"
>         Option      "NoLogo" "true"
>         Option      "UseEvents" "True"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "Screen0"
>         Device     "Videocard0"
>         Monitor    "Monitor0"
>         DefaultDepth     24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport   0 0
>                 Depth     24
>                 #In order, the Modes represent       1080p
> 720p            480p
>                 #Modes    "1920x1080_60" "1280x720_60" "720x480_60"
>                 Modes    "1280x720_60" "720x480_60"
>         EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "DRI"
>         Group        0
>         Mode         0666
> EndSection
> -----

I have this exact TV with that video card displaying over VGA myself.  For
awhile, I used the DVI port on the card to the HDMI input on the TV, but the
TV thinks anything coming in from ports other than it's VGA port has
overscan, so it cuts off about 5% of the screen on all sides, which is
fixable from Myth, but a pain none-the-less.  I switched back to VGA because
I could not tell any difference in quality between VGA and the DVI/HDMI
cable, and I didn't have to mess with overscan.  I tried for a long time to
get a modeline that would work for the DVI cable to auto-resize the whole
screen, desktop and all, but was unsuccessful.

I have the screen displaying in 1080p from the VGA port and I've thought
that it works great, the video card has no problems with it.  I've had no
need for a modeline, but you should be able to use what Rich has written
(Modes    "1920x1080_60" "1280x720_60" "720x480_60"), without having to
specify the whole modeline...

If you do end up finding a modeline that works better for the display,
please e-mail the list or just me about it because I'd be curious to know...

Jarett