[mythtv-users] My Upgade Dilema with FC5

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Mon Aug 27 14:18:42 UTC 2007

CHRIS KOTTING wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 07:45:08 -0400, James Pifer wrote
>
>> I'm currently running FC5 so I need to to do something with the OS,
>>  as well as upgrade myth and start using Schedules Direct. I have
>> had a lot of problems in the past with the backend crashing if I
>> delete a recording while something else is being recorded, even with
>> the "Slow deletes" enabled. IIRC the problem is the file system I'm
>> running, which is ext3. Also IIRC, jfs seems to be the file system
>> of choice by many.
>>
>> So if I decide to upgrade, I'm trying to figure out which OS to go with.
>> For me, it's either stay with the FC line and most likely jump to
>> FC7, or it's go with CentOS 5. From what I can tell, atrpms has the
>>
> upgraded
>
>> myth packages for el5, which I believe would work for CentOS 5.
>>
>> Any suggestions here?
>>
>> Also, at what point do I upgrade myth? What I mean is, I'll back up
>> my current DB and all the associated recordings, etc. If I then
>> rebuild the system, am I going to run into a problem because of the
>> newer version of myth that will be installed? I don't think I can
>> upgrade myth BEFORE upgrading the OS because it looks like the FC5
>> yum mirrors are gone now.
>>
>> OR, do I do the upgrade, install myth, and then import from my back
>> up before starting myth. When I start mythbackend the first time
>> will it do the necessary schema updates, etc?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James
>>

> James -
>
> First off, I wouldn't try to go with Fedora 7.  My understanding is that
> there are known problems with anaconda on Fedora 7.  I would consider either
> FC6 or CentOS for now.  I've been using xfs with no worries (when I set up
> initally, jfs was reported to be problematic for some, not so now).
>
> FWIW, An upgrade to FC6 and a "yum update" to get the latest packages from
> Axel and running mythtv-setup followed by mythfilldatabase was all that was
> required to get my combined Frontend/Backend transitioned from Zap2It to
> SD.  I might be tempted to go that route for the moment, and do the CentOS
> upgrade at your leisure.

I just went through upgrading my frontend systems and my backend system
from FC6 to Fedora7, and I personally didn't have any troubles with
anaconda.  Additionally, my main video filesystem is ext3 with ~500GB of
recording video storage (about 76% used).  I would probably see better
performance using jfs or xfs, but that'll be something I tackle at
another time. :)

-Rich