[mythtv-users] beginners audio question

Alastair Kerr alastair.kerr at ed.ac.uk
Mon Aug 27 10:46:04 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/24/2007 07:24 AM, Alastair Kerr wrote:
>
>> After several false starts at installing Mythtv (I can post my
>> experiences if there is an interest) I have a functional system. Audio
>> is working but I am not convinced that is it fully 5.1 surround sound:
>> probably just a stereo signal going to my speakers.  This whole area is
>> new to me as  the following questions will probably testify
>>
>> Current setup:
>> ASRock mobo, P4 3GHz,
>> PVR-150 capturing a signal from a sky digibox box on the component input
>> (yellow/red/white)
>>

> Meaning you're capturing only 2-channel (stereo) audio at most (could be
> mono on some channels).  Note, however, that the PVR-x50's cannot
> capture more than 2-channel audio (and trying to capture it through a
> sound card and mux it into the stream is a lot of work that will result
> in poorly-sync'ed audio/video, anyway).  Basically, your TV will be
> 2-channel until you upgrade to a digital capture card (assuming you have
> digital TV sources (DVB broadcasts)).
>

>> (dusky controller to change channel)
>> Nvidia 7300 Graphics
>> 5.1 speakers connected to the  the 3 green/orange/black sockets
>> I have install kubuntu with the Mythtv packages
>>
>> The manual for the mobo states it uses a asc888
>>

> I'm guessing you mean an ALC888 (Realtek ALC888).
>

>>  codec but alsa seems to
>> be using alc883
>>
>> My Questions:
>> *  What is the best way to test the sound system, is there a good file I
>> could download to play and test the audio?
>>

> I'll leave this for someone who knows what they're talking about.  (I
> can't hear a difference between good or bad audio, so I don't really do
> any audio system testing. :)
>

>> *  Should I try and change the audio codec used on asla? If so how?
>>

> No.  The ALSA developers create source files to support new codec
> chipsets as they encounter them and often name them after the codec.
> Often, vendors make changes to the codecs and release new models but
> since they're similar enough to previous versions, the ALSA developers
> just add support for the new codec to existing source file/module.  So,
> the ALSA module name--while often close to some codec names--may not be
> the same as the name of the hardware codec on your system.  The alc883
> module also supports other Reaktek codecs (including ALC888 and
> ALC861).  Even on ones where ALSA guesses about the future models that
> will be supported, there can be ambiguity (as the ALSA devs don't get to
> name the hardware codecs released by vendors in the future :).
>
> Whatever module ALSA uses is the right module to use. ;)
>

>> *  I have and spdif header on the mobo, should I try and use this rather
>> than the 3 audio cables?
>>

> S/PDIF can support 2-channel PCM audio (stereo) or 5.1-channel
> AC-3/DTS.  AC-3/DTS uses lossy compression, so if you're re-encoding an
> AC-3 stream (i.e. for timestretch), you'll get generational losses.
> [...]
My head has  only now  stopped hurting after that :->  but thanks (as
well to others in the post) that helped a lot.

Next issue will be to get a RGB->S-video converter  as I just found out
the hard way that my SCART output on my digibox has component but no
s-video signal....Hope it will be worth the extra expense.

- Al