[mythtv-users] MythWeather in 0.20.2/-fixes packages

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Aug 26 13:16:24 UTC 2007

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 08:24:31AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Axel, would it be appropriate for your RPM scripts to delete
> /usr/{,local/}lib/mythtv/plugins/libmythweather.so ?  Even if the user
> had a -revamp version working, it won't work with the new libs.  (I'm
> assuming this was on an FC system, but if not, perhaps someone should
> talk to the packager involved for this distro.)

/usr/local is sacred ground not to be walked on or even looked at by
infidel packagers :)

More seriously packages are supposed to not interfere with the
unpackaged world and vice-versa. Someone may actually be installing
0.20.x as a package and 0.21 under /usr/local by manual building and
depdending on PATH and ldconfig setup one could switch back and
forth. It would only make sense for a developer to do that actually,
but that's another story.

The next sacred paths are $HOME/bin and $HOME/lib where people may
also be installing stuff and it may be in the path before /usr. The
unpackaged world is that complex that packages can't really be
intelligent enough to fix things outside their defined scope.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net