[mythtv-users] Issues upgrading mythtv on FC6

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sun Aug 26 01:23:21 UTC 2007

Quoting Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net>:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 05:10:13PM -0400, Larry Roberts wrote:
>> Now that SD is finally here I'm going to try and upgrade my myth box to
>> the latest and greatest.
>>
>> Currently running:
>>
>> mythgallery-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythdvd-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythgame-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythtv-suite-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> libmyth-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythtv-frontend-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythtv-backend-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythnews-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythphone-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythtv-themes-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythweb-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythflix-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythweather-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythvideo-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythplugins-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythtv-setup-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> myththemes-0.20-110.at
>> mythtv-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythmusic-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythbrowser-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mytharchive-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> mythcontrols-0.20-154.fc6.at
>> ivtv_xdriver-0.10.7-8_r3843.fc6.at
>> perl-Video-ivtv-0.13-8.fc6.at
>> ivtv-0.10.1-126.fc6.at
>> ivtv-kmdl-2.6.20-1.2925.fc6-0.10.1-126.fc6.at
>> ivtv-firmware-20070217-13.at
>> ivtv-kmdl-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6-0.10.1-126.fc6.at
>>

>> yum update throws up an error about a kernel not being available for the
>> ivtv-kmdl that is required.
>>
>> Error: Package ivtv-kmdl-2.6.22.1-32.fc6 needs
>> /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.1-32.fc6, this is not available.
>>

>> Am I jumping the gun and the repo isn't complete or am I missing something.
>> my box hasn't been updated in 6 months or so becuase it has become rock
>> solid..
>
> No, the repo is complete, the error is probably because it is "too"
> complete. I guess the 2.6.22.1-32.fc6 was withdrawn from Fedora's
> archives and now yum gets upset.
>
> I see that as a yum bug, other consider it a feature. Anyway you can
> chose whether you like this behaviour or not, and if not you should
> install the skip-broken-dependencies yum plugin. The yum will work
> like apt/smart and all other depsolvers do.
>
> And since this is the 100.000 time i pointed to this yum bug it would
> be nice if some user opened a bug against yum at bugzilla.redhat.com
> so yum maintainers can see the need for defaulting to the less strict
> working mode for yum.

The issue is that yum is going through, resolving dependencies, and
has determined that it needs to update your kernel version.  You
currently have the ivtv kernel module installed for your current
kernel, and as it is trying to determine what dependencies there are,
it has found that it cannot update the other packages, plus the
kernel, because the installed ivtv-kmdl package requires your current
kernel to remain installed.  In other words, a circular dependency.

Now, there IS an ivtv-kmdl package built and maintained by ATrpms, but
for reasons Axel got in to, yum is getting in to this crazy state.

The work around is to:
1. remove the current ivtv-kmdl rpm from your system (don't worry, this is ok)
2. perform your yum update or whatever it is you are trying to do.
3. take a look at the kernel version it just installed.  Using that
kernel version, run "yum install ivtv-kmdl-<kernel version>" (take a
look at your previous ivtv-kmdl's numbering scheme to get an idea as
to what it is supposed to be.  For example,
"ivtv-kmdl-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7"...
4. Reboot.

You should be all set if you make sure you install the ivtv-kmdl that
matches the newly installed kernel.