[mythtv-users] How to upgrade?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Aug 25 19:40:44 UTC 2007

Cliff Avey wrote:
> I apologize if this question has been asked before. Could you folks
> point me to some info about how to upgrade my MythTV while preserving my
> library of pre-recorded programs? I have an ancient version (0.18 on FC3

...then...

$ make && make install

MythTV processes will automatically update the database for
any version 0.14 or later. BTW 0.18 as ancient makes me wonder
about the first 17 release ;-). I think 0.18 was just before the
Winter Olympics last year.

> with a 2.6.10 kernel, client/server setup). I assume I also need to
> upgrade my Linux. Problem is, I don't have enough hardware to build a

I don't see why. If you do want to upgrade your OS, you may
want to do these separately. Either upgrade your OS and hold
off on myth until things are stable or upgrade myth and do the
OS later.

> 2nd server, and it records almost every day (at least it will until
> Zap2It shuts me off and I can't switch to SchedulesDirect), so I need to
> to upgrade quickly while preserving as much data as possible.

Not sure why you are assuming that preserving data is an issue.
Backup your DB so you could always recover. Don't mount your
video file partition while upgrading your OS if you do so. A
normal upgrade of myth will keep all your recorded file info,
recording rules, recording history and so on.

If you use ivtv and upgrade that from an old version, there was
a change where their input names changed from "Tuner 0" to
"Tuner 1" or something like that. This can be solved easily
and you can find the solution in the archives.

--  bjm