[mythtv-users] Making mythtbackend.log files useable

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Aug 25 18:22:44 UTC 2007

Steve MacLaren wrote:
> Trying to debug my frequent backend crashes has become almost
> impossible with 5-7 MB of gibberish clogging up my log files.
> Typically I see 69,900 lines of:
>
> QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket
> QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket
> QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket
> QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket
>
> or:
> [mpeg2video @ 0x2af8e5f7afd0]ac-tex damaged at 6 50
> [mpeg2video @ 0x2af8e5f7afd0]00 motion_type at 1 51
> [mpeg2video @ 0x2af8e5f7afd0]mb incr damaged
> [mpeg2video @ 0x2af8e5f7afd0]00 motion_type at 3 53
> [mpeg2video @ 0x2af8e5f7afd0]00 motion_type at 10 54
> [mpeg2video @ 0x2af8e5f7afd0]00 motion_type at 15 55
> [mpeg2video @ 0x2af8e5f7afd0]ac-tex damaged at 7 89
> [mpeg2video @ 0x2af8e5f7afd0]00 motion_type at 16 57
> [mpeg2video @ 0x2af8e5f7afd0]00 motion_type at 12 58
> [mpeg2video @ 0x2af8e5f7afd0]00 motion_type at 18 59
> [mpeg2video @ 0x2af8e5f7afd0]ac-tex damaged at 1 60
> [mpeg2video @ 0x2af8e5f7afd0]invalid mb type in P Frame at 1 61
>
> and ~ 100 lines containing actual time-stamped messages that may be of
> use.  Is there any way to block messages from "mpeg2video" or disable
> the QSocketDevice stuff?  Any combination of numbers/test after the
> "-v" option for mythtv-backend just produces a "usage" error
> (including, unfortunately, "-v help").  It would be nice to be able to
> find out what is actually causing my daily crashes...

The 'QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket'  messages are not normal
and almost certainly something to do with the crashes.

The libavformat message are a pain. There is a patch on ticket
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2460 will allow these messages to be
filtered out like and other VERBOSE messages. I'm sure Janne would like
it if you could test the patch and provide some feed back :-)

Paul H.