[mythtv-users] Asus M2NPV-VM - Component vs. DVI

Taco Mel taco_mel at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 25 05:20:12 UTC 2007

I have made some progress in my setup by switching
back to the component instead of the DVI.  For the
first time I am driving the TV at 1920x1080 (recall
DVI would support a maximum of 1280x720 but this TV
does not natively support 720p).

The good:

1. I got rid of the bright colored line at the bottom
of the display.  It turned out this was due to the
gray panel at the bottom, which was just out of the
TV's view. When I decreased the size of the panel, the
line in question went away.

2. I didn't fall out of my chair, but I am pretty sure
that I did achieve 1080i on the display where I was
not before.  There is a noticeable difference between
the same hi-def show when the TV is fed its native
1080i instead of 1280x720 via the DVI.

3. No problems with the in-video pop-up screens (e.g.
"info") flickering.

4. Console works!  Great geek effect when booting.

The bad:

1. Outside of MythTV there is still flicker on
horizontal lines (the test pattern still would give
you a seizure).  This applies as well to some
horizontal lines in the MythTV setup screens.
(xvidtune and nvidia-settings detect that the monitor
is running at 29.97 Hz and I can't get the GPU to do
anything other than 30 Hz so maybe this is the
problem?)

2. Some of the MythTV menus go outside the boundaries
of the screen due to overscan.  I am hesitant to apply
an "overscan correction" either in MythTV setup or in
a --geometry argument because as I understand it, then
Myth will be scaling the image and it won't be sent
through at its native 1920x1080 resolution.  I'm
willing to live with the ~5% overscan on the picture
in order to get better image quality.

3. When I use the option to use a different resolution
for TV playback and the GUI, I end up with the GUI not
taking up the entire screen, which is not OK.

In summary I am probably willing to live with the
desktop flicker and maybe even the flicker in the
MythTV setup screens, since the "consumer" (wife, kid,
guests) won't be using these.  However I would like to
get the Myth GUI to fit on the screen without having
it scale my TV picture.

A bonus would be to get rid of the flicker, but it
looks like the Nvidia card TV-Out modes can't be
changed or added to.