[mythtv-users] Linux MCE

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 18:07:02 UTC 2007

On 8/22/07, Paul Huber <paul2004x at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> neither is a cut and dry installation/setup from the point of a novice
> >> Learning curve is WAY to high (along with the stability issues)
>
> (LinuxMCE dev)...  Can I ask what problems you had with the installation,
> and if you have any suggestions for how to make it better?  People complain
> about limited hardware compatibility.  There's not much we can do about
> that; if you want open gl, alpha blending, bling, etc., so far only nVidia's
> proprietary drivers work...  But you mentioned you had compatible hardware
> so it *should* have gone pretty smoothly.  Do you have suggestions about
> what Mr. House / KnoppMyth and the others you like do that make them more
> pnp or user friendly than LinuxMCE, so I can try to incorporate them?  Also,
> can I ask what wasn't stable?  I haven't seen many bug reports in our mantis
> on this stuff (mostly new feature requests) and for the next release I'm
> trying to focus on bug fixes/usability and not worry about new features, so
> any input is appreciated.

Hi Paul, just a short response here, I'll email you more specifics
about LinuxMCE directly (or file bug reports).

I don't think I made it very clear in my first response, LinuxMCE
isn't MythTV, but incorporates some of it's features directly.  For
this reason I think it's unfair to compare the 2, but if someone is
looking solely for a DVR-type solution, I don't think LinuxMCE should
be part of their consideration.  If they are looking for a whole
house, Home Automation, DVR Plus type solution, indeed LinuxMCE is a
very viable option.  it's still relatively young and as such shouldn't
be expected to be as well documented, cleancut or
easy-to-find-fixes-for as MythTV is at this point; but nonetheless
it's a good option for the whole solution it provides.

-Chad