[mythtv-users] Is VIA chipset bad for mythTV?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Aug 24 16:11:30 UTC 2007

Brad Patterson wrote:
> I thought I have read before that people say to stay away from mobos
> with Via chipsets for mythtv usage.  I just wanted to
> doublecheck if this is true, as I am currently saving up some cash for
> new hardware for a new myth box.
>
> Any recommendations or info are appreciated.  Thanks!!

I've heard the same, but I haven't had problems.  I've got the Shuttle
SK21G, which is VIA based, with a fanless nvidia Geforce 6200 setup in
three locations in my house acting as front ends with a home build
backend server doing the recording and managing the frontends.  The
backend server has a MachSpeed K8M8MS motherboard, which is also VIA
based.  I've had good luck (so far) with all 4 of them.

-Rich