[mythtv-users] OT? Myth and VNC

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Aug 24 16:12:37 UTC 2007

George Mari wrote:
> Jay Mallar wrote:
>
>> Has anyone been able to get Myth running over VNC?  In particular, I'm
>> using Fedora Core 7, and the stable version of Mythtv.  I'm also using
>> the Xvnc that comes with Fedora.
>>
>> Trying to run mythtv-setup gives me Xlib errors that XInputExtension is
>> missing.  I've tried adding +extension XInputExtenion but it doesn't
>> seem to have any effect.  Further, according to the RealVNC website, my
>> verison of XVnc comes with XInputExtension enabled by default anyway.
>>
>> What's the trick?
>>
>> Xvnc Free Edition 4.1.2
>> Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
>> See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
>> Underlying X server release 10300000, The X.Org Foundation
>>
>> $ rpm -qi vnc-server
>> Name        : vnc-server                   Relocations: (not relocatable)
>> Version     : 4.1.2                             Vendor: Fedora Project
>> Release     : 18.fc7                        Build Date: Mon 11 Jun 2007
>> 08:53:02 AM CDT
>> Install Date: Sun 19 Aug 2007 02:34:53 PM CDT      Build Host:
>> xenbuilder2.fedora.redhat.com
>> Group       : User Interface/X              Source RPM:
>> vnc-4.1.2-18.fc7.src.rpm
>> Size        : 4556831                          License: GPL
>> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 11 Jun 2007 01:58:30 PM CDT, Key ID
>> b44269d04f2a6fd2
>> Packager    : Fedora Project
>> URL         : http://www.realvnc.com
>>

> Have you tried loading the vnc module in your xorg.conf?  I'm running
> FC6, and I have following in xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Module"
>          Load  "dbe"
>          Load  "extmod"
>          Load  "fbdevhw"
>          Load  "glx"
>          Load  "record"
>          Load  "freetype"
>          Load  "type1"
>          Load  "vnc"
>          Load  "v4l"
> EndSection
>
> I have the vnc-server rpm also installed, but I don't actually run it:
>
> [root at poseidon X11]# chkconfig --list | grep vnc
> vncserver       0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
> [root at poseidon X11]# service vncserver status
> Xvnc is stopped
> [root at poseidon X11]#
>
> It works fine for me - no problems accessing the remote desktop this way
> at all.  Of course, playing back video, you don't actually see the
> video, just the first frame or so, or just a black screen.

Or, if you are using gnome as your window manager under Fedora7, just go
under the "Remote Desktop" tab and check the box to allow remote users
to connect to your machine (without your approval, but with a
password).  That's all I had to do for the frontend systems I just
re-installed from FC6-F7.  Oh, that, and enable auto-login for the
mythtv user since VNC won't start up until the user's session has been
started. :)

-Rich