[mythtv-users] Using USB to change channels on cable box?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri Aug 24 15:49:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 10:27 -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:

> There is also the possibility of firewire capture but I haven't
> gotten this to work yet and it would raise issues that are
> supposed to be addressed by input groups. However, this opens
> the possibility of capturing MPEG files directly from another
> virtual 'capture card' with no physical tuner card.

I don't have a firewire STB anymore but I've been told that the
input groups in the multirec branch does work as intended, allowing
you to record some channels via firewire and others via the S-Video
while having MythTV resolve conflicts properly.

When I did have a firewire STB with CableVision most HD channels HD
cable were available unencrypted over firewire even though only the
broadcast channels were in the clear to a QAM tuner. On the other hand,
RCN sent all their basic cable, including basic cable HD, in the clear
for QAM, but encrypted all channels coming from their firewire STB
including all broadcast channels. i.e. YMMV.

-- Daniel