[mythtv-users] PCHDTV HD5500: noticeably better reception than the HD3000?

Peter Watkins peterw at tux.org
Fri Aug 24 03:11:33 UTC 2007

My HD3000 reception isn't that great -- in part, I assume, because my
indoors antenna is at ground level. I'm in a fairly urban area, within
10 miles of most stations I'd care to watch.

Should I expect switching to an HD5500 to noticeably improve reception
with the same antenna (silver surfer) & cable (garden variety 12 foot
RG6; can't go shorter)? Can anyone help me locate a good real-world
comparison of the 3000 and 5500? I don't doubt that the 5500 is somewhat
better, but I'd like a better idea of how much better before spending
more $. For what it's worth, antennaweb.org says I should have 6
stations reachable with "yellow" antennas, 2 more with "red", and 7 of
those stations are at almost the exact same direction and distance (9-11
miles).

Thanks,

Peter