[mythtv-users] Any hope for 1080i content at 1080i with nVidia?

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Fri Aug 24 01:20:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 09:10:20PM -0400, Matt Mossholder wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 17:54 -0700, Seth Daniel wrote:
> > The former mode (1080i) actually works (kinda [1]).  It's the latter mode
> > (540pw) that I'm having issues with.  It sounds like your saying I need
> > to try signifcantly lower the dotclock?
> >

> > [1] I get a 1080i picture that has alternating moments of perfection and
> > blurriness.  These moments are interleaved and come at around 10-13
> > second intervals.  To get any sort of 1080i picture I had to take the
> > EDID timings and double the vtimings to get it to work.  If I just use
> > the EDID directly I would get a 'virtual' 1920x1080 screen where I could
> > just view the top half (the first 540 lines) of the screen.  This
> > appears to be a driver issue.  It used to work with the 7xxx and 8xxx
> > driver (except that XV playback hard locked the system), but the 9xxx
> > (and beyond) driver broke it.
> >

> Seth,
>      Are you using UseEvents,

yes.

> do you have XvMC DISABLED,

yes.

> do you have OpenGL VSync enabled,

yes

> and are you using a driver version in the high 9 series or 100 series?

yes (100.14.11 currently, but I've used all of them that have been
released in the last 9 months).

> That specific mix is what did the trick for me.  That, and enabling
> deinterlacing, as stupid as it sounds. I believe that the deinterlace
> covers up for the fact that X doesn't support syncing up the interlace
> properly.

I've tried more combinations than I can count (however, be aware that I
can only count to about 6 or 7).  If you search for my e-mail address in
the gossamer-threads archive you will see that I have started at least
one other thread about this.  Maybe two.  Plus I've posted about this on
the nvnews forums a number of times.

I'm mostly interested in getting that 540pw working...assuming I *can*
get it working.  Everything else has failed.

--
seth / @sethdaniel.org
grasshopotomaus: