[mythtv-users] Using one lineup with multiple video sources (was Re: A hope regarding the new SchedulesDirect methodology)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 23 14:12:56 UTC 2007

On 08/09/2007 02:17 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> the patch in #3299 will allow filtering of one "larger" lineup by
> mfdb (technically allows keeping channels in the lineup even if they're
> not associated with the current video source).  However, it should
> probably be modified to include some caching mechanism (as without the
> modification, it downloads the one larger lineup once for each video
> source that uses the lineup).
>
> Since so many people are worried about this, perhaps one of them who
> needs this functionality will write the caching logic (technically, they
> just have to ensure that we cache the downloaded data longer than we
> currently do)...

Well, it turns out that the ever-prolific coder, Daniel K., wrote the
support for the DataDirect caching logic as he was writing the Schedules
Direct code (and before David had time to write it).  The code has been
checked into both trunk and -fixes, so anyone wishing to test the
logic--with either Schedules Direct or Zap2It Labs (Z2L) DataDirect
data--may do so.

This change allows users who have multiple video sources that record
from the same provider but have access to different channels to download
the listings data once and use it for multiple video sources.  For
example, users may have one firewire-enabled STB or an STB outputting to
an analog capture card for their cable service but also have analog or
QAM-capable cards that can only record some subset of the channels
available through the STB (i.e. only the analog or only the unencrypted
channels).  Previously, users were required to create multiple lineups
for such setups--often requiring them to select providers from nearby
ZIP codes or to create multiple Z2L accounts.  With the new changes, the
additional lineups (and, therefore, additional accounts) are no longer
necessary (so users wishing to use Schedules Direct need only pay once :).

Note that users who have multiple providers--i.e. cable, satellite, OTA,
etc.--should not try to use this approach.  Instead, each of these
lineups should be configured for its appropriate provider.

To configure things, first upgrade to the latest -fixes or trunk
revision (or soon 0.20.2).  Then, edit your lineup (at SD or Z2L) to
include all the channels available in all your same-provider video
sources.  After, edit the "mythfilldatabase Arguments" as described
below (this is only a temporary requirement).  Next, exit all your
mythfrontends, mtd's, mythjobqueues, and mythbackends and use
mythtv-setup to modify your video sources to use the new "meta" lineup
(the lineup with all channels for all the same-provider sources).  No
other changes to the video source are required.  Finally, restart your
Myth systems and enjoy.

Currently, there's a requirement in place that users wishing to use one
lineup for multiple video sources must pass the --remove-new-channels
argument to mythfilldatabase.  This should be done via the frontend setting:

mythfilldatabase Arguments
Any arguments you want passed to the mythfilldatabase program.

under General settings (near the end).  Simply type in
"--remove-new-channels" (no quotes), possibly appending it to other
arguments that may already be there.  Using this approach means there is
no reason to use a cron job so you can continue to use "Run
mythfilldatabase at time suggested by the grabber."  Note that this
requirement will be removed in the near future.

Once 0.20.2 is released (very soon), any user who upgrades to the new
version should use this approach rather than the multiple lineup
approach.  It is more efficient (for your own download bandwidth, as
well as for SD/Z2L) and less expensive than having multiple SD accounts.  :)

And thanks to Ian (who started the original thread) for the reminder
that some needed client-side filtering of lineups.

Thanks,
Mike