[mythtv-users] Myth RPMs for Fedora Core 5

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 13:42:32 UTC 2007

On 22/08/07, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  It gets updates just like Fedora.  It's a repackaged RHEL5 system with
> > different logos, to put it simply.  It will have the same EOL as RHEL5.
> >  The kernel was optimized for server environments, so not all of the
> > hardware is ready to go out of the box.  But once you get it working, it's a
> > rock solid OS, being designed for the enterprise environment.  It gets
> > package updates like any other OS, but for a Myth box do you really need
> > them?
>
> If I understand you correctly, it doesn't sound CentOS offers any
> benefits in terms of less forced upgrade cycles over Fedora then?

Please read:

http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/

paying special attention to the length of the maintenance phase.

Now compare this to the Fedora information at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle

Does RHEL/CentOS now sound like a better bet for long term stability?

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/