[mythtv-users] Frequent backend crashing

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 02:40:45 UTC 2007

On 8/21/07, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/21/07, James Cummings <cummings.james at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The script to restart the backend is all well and good, but only solves
> part
> > of the problem from my point of view.  On my box the backend can be
> still
> > running and it decides not to lock onto a channel even though signal is
> > strong.  In liveTV it just vgives you the option to wait longer, etc.
> but
> > when it is meant to be recording it just doesn't record anything,
> creates a
> > 0 byte file which then the frontend is not able to find.  Restarting the
> > backend in these cases solves the problem, it will lock on the channel
> right
> > away, but the cron script won't help, because the backend is technically
> > running.
> >

> I used to have a problem like this too, but it was solved in 0.19 or
> 0.20 so I haven't had it occurr.  One other problem I had was that the
> DVB drivers sometimes failed to load correctly so I had to use a
> script to explicitly ensure they were removed and then reloaded at the
> end of the system startup.  That solved those problems too.
>
> I am not near my box now, so I can't help any more.
>

> In other news, I swapped out the mobo for my backend back to the
> original model and I have not yet experienced a backend crash in 7
> days.  The only other change I have made is removing a USB hub that
> was between the keyboard and the PC and plugged the keyboard directly
> into the PC.  Not sure if this could indicate a hardware addressing
> change for the better or not, but I am running quite happy right now.
>
> Cheers,
> Whytey

I am trying to get this to work on my box.  I am using FC6.  I cant get
aplay to work on my digital spdif out.

here is my /etc/asound.conf file:
#Generated by system-config-soundcard, do not edit by hand
#SWCONF
#DEV 0
defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 0
defaults.ctl.card 1

pcm.!default
{
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm "spdif"
    rate 48000
    format S16_LE
  }
}

in myth I get the sound to play by putting this in the box:
ALSA:spdif

When trying to use aplay i get:

[myth at mythtv sounds]$ aplay select.wav
Playing WAVE 'select.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
[myth at mythtv sounds]$ aplay -D spdif select.wav
Playing WAVE 'select.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
aplay: set_params:905: Channels count non available
[myth at mythtv sounds]$ aplay -D digital select.wav
ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM digital
aplay: main:545: audio open error: No such file or directory
[myth at mythtv sounds]$ aplay -D analog select.wav
ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM analog
aplay: main:545: audio open error: No such file or directory
[myth at mythtv sounds]$

What am i missing?

Thanks