[mythtv-users] e: so where can I buy a Cablecard Set Top Box?

Dennis Lou dlou99 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 05:51:59 UTC 2007

From: "Victor Perez" <spectro at gmail.com>
>What I am thinking is to have some manufacturer design a tv capture device
>with a pcmcia slot for a POD. This device can work with current ATSC and QAM
>signals just as current pcHDTVs or HDHomeruns. The manufacturer ships the
>card with a flashable firmware and leaves the implementation of POD
>protocols to the open source community, this is key to prevent cablelabs
>from pressuring the manufacturer.
>
>Then we can come up with very interesting POD implementations that may be
>useful for small cable companies somewhere. Of course the final goal is to
>produce a cablecard protocol and getting the certs will require some heavy
>lawyering but it is likely to end with the FCC forcing cablelabs to issue
>it.
>
>Yeah, I know this is sounding crazier by the minute but you cannot deny is
>doable.

I don't follow you, but I still deny that this is doable.  Unless the host cert and the CableCard cert are signed by the same authority, neither will talk to each other.  Are you proposing that you get a CableCard with an unsigned cert from CableLabs (or signed with an invalid pubkey) and have them also issue an unsigned (or invalid signed) cert for your host?

If you want to see some of the specs, Google for "SCTE 41".  That should be enough to get you started.

-Dennis